Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pumpkin Carving 2012, Man Of Steel

This year, my wife was out of town the Friday before Halloween. I put on Prometheus (and then Dune,and then Iron Man 2) and designed and carved a pumpkin.

I was inspired by this neat pumpkin I saw on imgur here. The premise was simple, just a silhouette of Batman with a glowing background. I wanted to use the same premise with a different superhero. Since very few superheroes have a distinct silhouette, I decided to do Superman with a lit up cape and lit up chest logo, on a glowing background.

Here's a link to the pdf pattern that I made in inkscape.

I originally made the pattern for the ThinkGeek pumpkin carving contest but after spending so long on the design, I really wanted to carve it.

After staying up late and many hours of painstaking scraping and gouging, here's my result.

Lit up with a lamp, inside, lights on.

Lit with lamp, lights off!

I was really happy with the end result. I spent a lot of time gouging the cape so that it would actually look 3D, like it was fluttering in the wind and I think it turned out well.
I'd love some constructive feedback!


1 comment:

  1. I love this design! The cape looks great and I love the soft glow. I hope you don't mind if I give this design a try myself. I will let you know how it went!

    ReplyDelete