Saturday, September 3, 2011

Sneak Peak: Project "ChopChop"

Now that I've moved in to my new apartment, I've started started using my scrollsaw again. After the success of Project "Belgium"  I  decided to keep on going with a project I've had in mind for a little while.   I really enjoy cutting out stuff from one piece of wood and then using that to fill in holes on another piece of wood, to achieve a two color effect. This time the project needed to be food-safe, so I've been working with white pine and red oak instead of staining pine different colors. [I have this probably irrational idea that stained wood wouldn't be safe for this project. Who knows?]

Anyway, I created a stencil in Adobe Illustrator, printed it out and used spray adhesive to attach it to the wood. I cut out holes in the pine and cut out solid pieces in red oak.  Hopefully I'll get better at This project because right now my shapes don't fit in my holes perfectly. Because of the secret project info nature of this project, I have to completely fill in all of these holes before I can sand it. I think I'm going to use a watered down glue and then put saw dust into the holes.

I'll come back to this post when I get it finished and to the recipient. Until then, between my text and these two pictures, perhaps you can figure out what it is and who it's for.


Update 9/3: I've gotten the whole thing cut out. Now to sand it and fill in all those pesky gaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment